I have been leading a life of public service in Ventura County for decades and I am proud to have served the residents of Oxnard since 2010. I am now seeking your continued support in my run for Supervisor.
I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley with my six siblings and enjoyed a semi-rural childhood which has influenced my life and values. I have been a homeowner in Oxnard since 1992 and have worked in Ventura County since 1978.
In 1978, I began my career in Oxnard as a legal aid attorney working to protect the health and economic well-being of individuals and families before government and in court. My office was right here in Oxnard at Channel Counties Legal services, where people came for help with education, housing, and employment. For 16 of those years, I served as Director. Then for nine years, I worked for the Superior Court of Ventura County in Colonia helping Spanish-speaking residents understand their rights and responsibilities.
In 2007, I learned that a giant corporation wanted to endanger our community and our ocean by putting a Liquified Natural Gas terminal right off Ormond beach. Together, we defeated that polluting project.
Since then I have fought for environmental justice and proper economic development for Oxnard, leading the charge against a fourth power plant on our already environmentally burdened community. I have been working hard for you since taking office in 2010, and together we have made so much progress.
I made hard choices
I made hard choices which boosted the financial health of our city from the brink of disaster to an upgraded credit rating.
I Voted for Accountablity
I vote for accountability by providing incentives to local companies that hire locally.
I support enhanced emergency services
I support enhanced emergency services to ensure our first responders have the best resources to keep everyone safe and secure.
I voted for transparency
I voted for tranparncy by having city meetings translated and providing everyone the opportunity to participate in local government.
I voted for clean energy
I voted for clean energy to ensure all Ventura County residents have the option to receive their power from clean resources.
When polluting industries wanted to abuse Oxnard, I voted to protect your health, your children’s health, and the health of our environment.
We have worked together to strengthen our community and restore trust in this city, but there is much more progress to be made.
So, it is with gratitude for your past support, a passion for the future of our community and the encouraging endorsement of many Oxnard residents and civic leaders, that I announce my candidacy for Ventura County Supervisor District 5.
I am dedicated to placing the health of the community at the center of every decision I make.
Our community has faced difficult challenges in the past, and I have made decisions with only your best interests in mind.
I pledge to continue doing that for you at the county level.
Join me in this fight for a healthier and stronger community!
Together we win,
Awards and Recognition
- Ben E. Nordman Public Service Award, VC Bar Assn
- Paul Harris Award, Ventura Rotary
- Ventura Community Service Award, El Concilio del Condado de
- Human Rights Award, Baha’i of Ventura
- 2003 Woman of the Year, CA Assembly District 35
- 2009 Woman of the Year, CA Senate District 23
- 2012 Recognition for Women’s Leadership, Multicultural Programs of CSUCI
- 2010 Exemplary Service in the Promotion of Literacy, VC Council of the International Reading Assn
- 2019 Blue Wave Award, Greater Oxnard Organization of Democrats
- Serve on the Commission on State Mandates, to determine whether a local governmental agency is entitled to reimbursement from state funds.
- Served a 3yr term on the Board of Governors of the State Bar of CA representing the attorneys of Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties.
- Served on the statewide Executive Committee of the Bench Bar Coalition, promoting the needs for public access to justice.
- Trustee for the Colleges of Law for Santa Barbara & Ventura
- Taught law school courses in landlord-tenant law, consumer law, and collaborative advocacy
- Former President of the VC Bar Assn
ACTIVE OXNARD COMMITTEE MEMBER
- Transportation Policy Committee
- Financial Policy Task Force
- Cultural Arts Committee
- City-Wide Enhancement Program
- Ventura County Animal Regulation Commission
- Ventura County Air Pollution Control District
ACTIVE COMMUNITY MEMBER
- Ventura County Civic Alliance
- National Center for Civic Education
- Ventura County Community Foundation (VCCF)
- Bilingual VC theater company, Teatro de Las Américas (Fmr President)
- Studio Channel Islands Art Center (Fmr President)
- El Concilio Del Condado De VC (Fmr President)
- VC Women Lawyers’ Assn. (Fmr President)
- VC Mexican American Bar Assn. (Fmr President)
I have focused on environmental justice and sustainable development in Ventura County, including:
- The cleanup of Halaco Metal Recycling Plant located on Ormond Beach
- Promoting a healthier community economically, socially & environmentally
- Leading the successful effort to defeat the proposed Cabrillo Port Liquefied Natural Gas Terminal off Oxnard’s Coast in 2007.