I have been leading a life of public service in Ventura County for decades and I am proud to have served the residents of Oxnard since 2010. I am now seeking your continued support in my run for Supervisor.
I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley with my six siblings and enjoyed a semi-rural childhood which has influenced my life and values. I have been a homeowner in Oxnard since 1992 and have worked in Ventura County since 1978.
In 1978, I began my career in Oxnard as a legal aid attorney working to protect the health and economic well-being of individuals and families before government and in court. My office was right here in Oxnard at Channel Counties Legal services, where people came for help with education, housing, and employment. For 16 of those years, I served as Director. Then for nine years, I worked for the Superior Court of Ventura County in Colonia helping Spanish-speaking residents understand their rights and responsibilities.
In 2007, I learned that a giant corporation wanted to endanger our community and our ocean by putting a Liquified Natural Gas terminal right off Ormond beach. Together, we defeated that polluting project.
Since then I have fought for environmental justice and proper economic development for Oxnard, leading the charge against a fourth power plant on our already environmentally burdened community. I have been working hard for you since taking office in 2010, and together we have made so much progress.
- I helped lead the way to secure the financial future of our city by strengthening our resilience, infrastructure, and financial health.
- I made hard choices which boosted the financial health of our city from the brink of disaster to an upgraded credit rating.
- I voted for accountability by ending no-bid contracts and holding our city to high standards, providing incentives to local companies that hire locally.
- I have supported enhanced fire and police services to ensure our first responders have the best resources, as well as youth services to keep Oxnard’s young people thriving.
When polluting industries wanted to abuse Oxnard, I voted to protect your health, your children’s health, and the health of our environment.
We have worked together to strengthen our community and restore trust in this city, but there is much more progress to be made.
So, it is with gratitude for your past support, a passion for the future of our community and the encouraging endorsement of many Oxnard residents and civic leaders, that I announce my candidacy for Ventura County Supervisor District 5.
I am dedicated to placing the health of the community at the center of every decision I make.
Our community has faced difficult challenges in the past, and I have made decisions with only your best interests in mind. I pledge to continue doing that for you at the county level.
Between now and election day on March 3rd, 2020 we have a lot of work to do, but it will be worth it for our future!
So, join me in this fight for a healthier and stronger community!
Oxnard City Council Committees
- Transportation Policy Committee, the Financial Policy Task Force, the Cultural Arts Committee, and the City-Wide Enhancement Program.
- Ventura County Animal Regulation Commission and the Ventura County Air Pollution Control District where I currently serve as the vice-chair.
- I serve on the Commission on State Mandates, along with state officeholders to determine whether a local governmental agency is entitled to reimbursement from state funds.
- Served a three-year term on the Board of Governors of the State Bar of California representing the attorneys of Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties. I served on the statewide Executive Committee of the Bench Bar Coalition, which promotes the needs of the public to access to justice.
- Trustee for the Colleges of Law for Santa Barbara and Ventura and have taught law school courses in landlord-tenant law, consumer law, and collaborative. advocacy
- Former President of the Ventura County Bar Association
Involved in the Community
- Board member of the Ventura County Community Foundation (VCCF)
- Member of the Ventura County Civic Alliance
- Past president and current board member of the bilingual Ventura County theater company, Teatro de Las Américas
- Board member of the Center for Civic Education, a national program, headquartered in Calabasas, California
- Past president of El Concilio Del Condado De Ventura County, the Ventura County Women Lawyers’ Association, Ventura County Mexican American Bar Association, and Studio Channel Islands Art Center in Camarillo
Award and Recognitions
- Ben E. Nordman Public Service Award, Ventura County Bar Association
- Paul Harris Award, Ventura Chapter of Rotary
- Ventura Community Service Award, El Concilio del Condado de
- Human Rights Award, Baha’i of Ventura
- Blue Wave Award, Greater Oxnard Organization of Democrats
- Woman of the Year, 35th Assembly District in 2003
- Woman of the Year, California Senate District 23 in 2009
- Recognition for Women’s Leadership, Multicultural Programs of CSU Channel Islands in 2012
- Exemplary Service in the Promotion of Literacy, Ventura County Council of the International Reading Association in 2010
I have focused on environmental justice and sustainable development in Ventura County, including the cleanup of Halaco Metal Recycling Plant located on Ormond Beach, and promoting a healthier community economically, socially and environmentally. I was a leader in the successful effort to defeat the proposed Cabrillo Port Liquefied Natural Gas Terminal off Oxnard’s Coast in 2007.