I have been leading a life of public service in Ventura County for decades. With thousands jobless and the health of our people and economy at risk, I bring my life experience with me as I place your well-being at the center of my work for our recovery and our future.
I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley with my six siblings and enjoyed a semi-rural childhood which has influenced my life and values. I have been a homeowner in Oxnard since 1992 and have worked in Ventura County since 1978.
In 1978, I began my career in Oxnard as a legal aid attorney in La Colonia working to protect the health and economic well-being of individuals and families before government and in court. For decades I have fought for you and your families.
In 2007, I learned that a giant corporation wanted to endanger our community and our ocean by putting a Liquified Natural Gas terminal right off Ormond beach. Together, we defeated that polluting project.
From La Colonia, representing our poorest residents, then as a councilwoman promoting government accountability, economic vitality, and ALWAYS protecting the health of our residents, I have advocated for you at all levels of government I have fought for you and proper economic development for Oxnard.
When polluting industries wanted to abuse Oxnard, I voted to protect your health, your children’s health, and the health of our environment. I have been working hard for you since taking office in 2010, and together we have made so much progress. Now I will do the same as we recover from COVID-19.
So, it is with gratitude for your past support, a passion for the future of our community, and the encouraging endorsement of many Oxnard residents and civic leaders, that I pledge to you that I will protect our environment, advocate for disaster preparedness, and help to bring better modern jobs to our county.
Join me in this fight for a healthier and stronger community!
Together we win,
I made hard choices
I made hard choices which boosted the financial health of our city from the brink of disaster to an upgraded credit rating.
I Voted for ACCOUNTABILITY
I vote for accountability by providing incentives to local companies that hire locally.
I support enhanced emergency services
I support enhanced emergency services to ensure our first responders have the best resources to keep everyone safe and secure. Our firefighters have endorsed me.
I voted for transparency
I voted for transparency by having city meetings translated and providing everyone the opportunity to participate in local government.
I voted for clean energy
I voted for clean energy to ensure all Ventura County residents have the option to receive their power from clean resources.
Awards and Recognition
- Ben E. Nordman Public Service Award, VC Bar Assn
- Paul Harris Award, Ventura Rotary
- Ventura Community Service Award, El Concilio del Condado de
- Human Rights Award, Baha’i of Ventura
- 2003 Woman of the Year, CA Assembly District 35
- 2009 Woman of the Year, CA Senate District 23
- 2012 Recognition for Women’s Leadership, Multicultural Programs of CSUCI
- 2010 Exemplary Service in the Promotion of Literacy, VC Council of the International Reading Assn
- 2019 Blue Wave Award, Greater Oxnard Organization of Democrats
- Serve on the Commission on State Mandates, to determine whether a local governmental agency is entitled to reimbursement from state funds.
- Served a 3yr term on the Board of Governors of the State Bar of CA representing the attorneys of Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties.
- Served on the statewide Executive Committee of the Bench Bar Coalition, promoting the needs for public access to justice.
- Trustee for the Colleges of Law for Santa Barbara & Ventura
- Taught law school courses in landlord-tenant law, consumer law, and collaborative advocacy
- Former President of the VC Bar Assn
ACTIVE OXNARD COMMITTEE MEMBER
- Transportation Policy Committee
- Financial Policy Task Force
- Cultural Arts Committee
- City-Wide Enhancement Program
- Ventura County Animal Regulation Commission
- Ventura County Air Pollution Control District
ACTIVE COMMUNITY MEMBER
- Ventura County Civic Alliance
- National Center for Civic Education
- Ventura County Community Foundation (VCCF)
- Bilingual VC theater company, Teatro de Las Américas (Fmr President)
- Studio Channel Islands Art Center (Fmr President)
- El Concilio Del Condado De VC (Fmr President)
- VC Women Lawyers’ Assn. (Fmr President)
- VC Mexican American Bar Assn. (Fmr President)
I have focused on environmental justice and sustainable development in Ventura County, including:
- The cleanup of Halaco Metal Recycling Plant located on Ormond Beach
- Promoting a healthier community economically, socially & environmentally
- Leading the successful effort to defeat the proposed Cabrillo Port Liquefied Natural Gas Terminal off Oxnard’s Coast in 2007.